shabbyblog background

Monday, August 9, 2010

The Lost Art of Fried Pies

Tonight I was invited into the gracious home of Hazel Tyler.  Doesn't that just sound like the next Food Network Star?  She is one of the sweetest ladies at our church.  Ms. Hazel volunteered her time and expertise in the art of making homemade fried apple pies.  When we arrived, there were 3 tables set with all the ingredients we needed in order to make our dough, but before we got started she had a huge platter of pies that she made for us to taste.  I suppose this was to show what ours were supposed to look and taste like when we completed them.


Next we got down to business getting our hands in it, mixing dry ingredients first, then the crisco and buttermilk were added.  I learned what a scant was tonight.  Do you know what a scant is?  Then we used a small brush to hit the edges of our dough with a little water before we sealed the already made apple filling inside.


That's a picture of my first one, not too shabby, if I do say so myself.  So we get our 6 pies made and we are sent on our way to fry at home.


I think I did ok, so maybe this won't be a one time thing.  I sure did love learning from that sweet little lady tonight.  Wouldn't mind doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment